A dream launch at Sephora (one of the biggest marketplaces for skincare in the United States), winners of the 2023 Oprah Beauty O-Ward, backed by Mindy Kaling, a fair amount of hype — what else can a newly launched skincare brand ask for right?
I’m sure you’re intrigued about this brand too. So, let’s dive into the story of Lion Pose and its mission.
- Lion Pose is female founded, by two women of color. Yay to that!
- Their mission is to raise the bar for clinical testing in skincare by including more skin types, tones, and textures — meaning the brand is hyper focused on combating issues that affect skin of color, which leads me to my next point.
- Their website says “ We formulate products that are safe and effective for all skin, while directly targeting issues that over-index in underrepresented skin tones, such as hyperpigmentation”. In my humble opinion, this is a great cause and I am glad more brands are starting to think about this.
So let’s get into the review — i.e., what do I think of the products.
Lion Pose has launched with one product called UNSPOTTED 4X Acid Night Jelly Serum. It claims to visibly reduce hyperpigmentation, acne scars, dark spots in as little as 2 weeks. The main ingredients in the product are -
- 15% blend of active acids (lactic, glycolic, azelaic, and tranexamic), glutathione, tiger grass, and aloe
- Lactic and glycolic acid are chemical exfoliators i.e., they take off the upper layers of dead skin revealing fresh skin underneath. Azelaic and tranexamic acid are melanin inhibitors i.e., they help reduce dark spots, acne marks, and hyperpigmentation
- Glutathione is an excellent antioxidant that protects skin from free radical damage
- Hyaluronic acid, tiger grass i.e., gotu kola, and aloe boost hydration and soothe irritated skin
Whats the verdict on Lion Pose?
- The second ingredient in UNSPOTTED 4X is Lactic (around 8–10%) and fourth ingredient is glycolic acid, which means this product is a chemical exfoliator. However, this product is marketed as a nightly serum. I recommend using it 1–2 nights a week, not every night else you could damage your skin barrier and sensitize your skin. I do like this product as a chemical exfoliator but at a pH of 3.7 should not be used daily
- However, it's priced at $79 so you’re better off buying a chemical exfoliator (5% or 10% Lactic acid from The Ordinary) followed by tranexamic acid (The Inkey List has one at 2%) separately
- Also, i’m not certain ‘Clinical Skincare’ is a term that can be used for over the counter products — its more for marketing purposes
Lion Pose has a great story and mission and i’m looking forward to more product launches in future. To more female founders!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you purchase via my link!